Thursday, September 15, 2005

True Heroes

Today I was off-site teaching at one of the local hospitals. I got there at 7am and didn't go out to my car again until lunchtime. When I opened the door to my car I noticed that the switch for my headlights was on. I tried starting the engine but alas, my battery was already dead. FUCK! I didn't have time to do anything about it at the time so I finished off my day and at 4:30 I came out again and tried to figure out how I would start my car. I asked a couple of people around the parking lot if they had jumper cables but no one did. Brian suggested I go ask security if they had some cables so I went inside and asked the woman at the admitting desk if she could call security for me to see if they had some. The woman says to me, "I don't know if they do, but I know I do." Great! "Here are my keys. Its a red and grey van and the cables are in the back." What the fuck? You're just going to give me, a complete stranger the keys to your car so I can borrow your jumper cables? Well I took her up on her offer, got my car started and went back in to return her keys. "Can I buy you a coffee or something to say thanks?" I know a coffee isn't much, but at the time it was the best I could offer. "No, just the fact that you offered that is thanks enough." It's so nice to meet people that are so helpful and trusting nowadays. I never would have done what she did but now I'm thinking I should be more helpful to my fellow man (or woman). Thank you lady-from-the-admitting-desk!

1 comment:

Fumbling said...

WOW that is awesome. I like hearing stories about kind people