Sunday, March 9, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Today is the twins' birthday. I can't believe it's been a year already. Last year at this time I was standing over their isolettes staring down at the smallest babies I've ever seen, amazed that I was a dad. The days leading up to that were crazy and scary but after it all I ended up with two beautiful babies. I remembering worrying about if they were going to survive. I remember seeing Lucas cry when he was first born and I remember the nurses whisking Amelia away to the NICU before we could even see her. I remember Celia telling me, "go check on Amelia" because she still had to go to the recovery room after surgery. I remember driving back and forth to the hospital every day for 2 months, I remember getting a phone call at 2am telling us that Lucas had an infection and was getting intubated, I remember Celia calling me at work crying that Amelia had to be transferred to the children's hospital because she might need surgery, and I especially remember getting the phone call telling us that the twins would be coming home the next day. The past year has been a blur but it was the most exciting blur of my life. Today I came home from work and Amelia had just woken up from a nap and I got to say Happy Birthday to my daughter and see her flash me that great big 2-tooth smile. Happy Birthday to Lucas and Amelia.

In honour of this special occassion, I have a limerick:

There once were two babies born early,
One was boyish, the other girly.
The grew up and laughed,
And learned by their own craft.
And taught me to never worry prematurely.

1 comment:

jcandkim said...

Happy Birthday!!