Sunday, January 31, 2010

Transplant Surgery

About a week before Christmas we had a bit of an emergency. Nothing life-threatening, but still pretty traumatic at the time. We turned our iMac off for the night and the next day when I turned it on, the OS wouldn't start. I played around with it for about 2 days and then did some serious troubleshooting. My not-so-expert evaluation was that the hard-drive failed. This could easily be fixed by bringing it in to an Apple store and they would replace the harddrive under the AppleCare warranty. Unfortunately, at the time I bought the iMac, I chose to upgrade the RAM and HDD rather than buy the extended warranty. D'oh! So I did what any computer-geek wannabe would do: I bought a new harddrive, opened up the iMac and swapped out the harddrive by myself. Super easy to do and I doubled the storage capacity. Only problem is the data recovery part on the old failed harddrive is going to cost a lot of money. I'm putting it off until Celia really really really needs something from it.

2 comments:

head dump said...

and the usualy advice is: back up your HD.

Anonymous said...

Wow, i thought. Just so you know- i'm computer illiterate. Great going!