Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Tradeoffs

Today I was supposed to leave for the Philippines. When I got to the airport, my aunt tells me that someone from Cathay approached her and asked if she was willing to fly tomorrow instead of today. In return, she would receive either $400 or a free upgrade to business class. She said she was unable and turned it down. When I heard about this, I went to the Cathay booth and asked about it. The guy there said they were fully booked and this couldn't be done. Okay, fine. I go to check in with my family and my aunt asks the guy at the desk about it again. He says there's one more seat. "I'll take it!" "Do you want the money or the upgrade?" "Money, please." So now I'm home again and I'll be leaving tomorrow, same time but this time with an extra $400 in my pocket. I'm not missing anything in the Philippines by getting there a day late and this amount of cash was my spending money for the entire trip anyway. Yay me.

No comments: