Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quality Over Quantity

I read a couple of gadget blogs and there's a theme I've noticed over the years. The really vocal computer geeks are cheap bastards. Okay, to be fair they aren't bastards but I don't think they get the whole idea of "boutique" devices. Sure they cost more for basically the same thing but they have a high end brand name or they promote an image. Like a luxury car they do mor than their basic functions. Not interested in showing off a little bling? Don't buy the Lexus or rolex or MacBook air. Wanna save some money and get the most bang for your buck? Cobble together some homemade PC with power parts and troubleshoot everything by yourself. I stopped building computers when my kids were born because I don't have time for it anymore. If you like to fiddle with your computer, by all means go do it. Just don't tell me it's a waste to spend a little more money for a device that doesn't give me grief on a weekly basis.

No comments: