Monday, February 7, 2005

Heart Attack

Today I went running. No, not away from anyone or anything. Last week a co-worker and I decided to start running to lose weight. We'd go after work twice/week and we'd only run a little at a time to start. Well today we ran a little more than 2km - or 5 laps of the track (in the outer lane). Since this is my first time doing any kind of sustained cardiovascular exercise, I do the run-for-a-minute-then-walk-for-a-minute style. This worked out pretty good for me.

Anyway, back to the title. Remember when you were a teenager and you heard all those warnings like "Consult a physician before engaging in any exercise regimen." I used to wonder why you would bother. Well, my little exercise in exercise just showed me that I'm an old, fat, out-of-shape man. I was seriously afraid that I'd have a heart attack while running. All I could think was that it was a good thing my co-worker that I was running with was a nurse. Well, luckily, I didn't have a heart attack. Now, if only this weird numbness in my left arm would go away...

1 comment:

R said...

You're so funny Oliver. Well all I have to say is that I'm older and much fatter than you and I don't seem to have a problem running. In fact I rather enjoy it. My problem with running is that I find I have to stretch alot or else I get a sore back or sometimes my feet. Rhoel.