Thursday, February 17, 2005

That's My Final Decision

For the past year, and especially in the past few months, I've been debating whether or not I want to go back to my old job as a bedside nurse or continue on in my current job as an informatics nurse. Well, I've finally made my decision. I'm going back. My contract has ended (it was only for one year) and I've got no obligation to stay. I do, however, have an obligation to my old ward. My old boss gave me a one year leave for this job with the unwritten agreement that I'd come back at the end of the contract. There will be a permanent position coming up soon, but probably not until June or July. I don't really want to go back, but I feel I need to. Here's why:

  1. I think if I asked for an extension on my leave just so I wouldn't have to go back to my ward would be rude. I want to honour my agreement with my old boss. I said I'd be back and finding ways to avoid it, I think, lacks character. Besides, I don't want to burn any bridges.
  2. My plan for my career was to work for 5 years and then move on. This opportunity came to me after only 4 years. I feel like I haven't met my own goals. Even by going back for a few months will ease my mind.
  3. I'll be able to find out whether or not bedside nursing is what I really want to do. Maybe I'll go back and find that is something that I really want to do. Maybe I'll go back and realize I hate it. Who knows.

No comments: