Monday, February 13, 2006

Back in the Saddle

On Saturday I picked up a shift at the hospital. Its so weird going back there. Half the people I used to work with are all gone and there are a tonne of new grads hanging out. Back in my bedside days I would have been bossing them all around but now I'm asking them things like, "how do I fill out this new form?" and "where do you guys keep the heparin?" I felt like a new grad. Its fun though, to go back and work with patients again. The bunch that I had were really good. I got to make a few jokes with them, we made some progress in their care, told a few stories, and still got a lot done. It almost makes me miss working on the ward. Almost. I still wouldn't go back full-time unless I absolutely had to.

Pet Peeve: when I tell people I have a desk job and they ask, "So you're not a nurse anymore?" Get your minds out of that little tiny tunnel! Just because I'm not wiping someone's ass doesn't mean I'm not a nurse. You should be asking this: "So what area of nursing does that fall under?" or better yet, say "Sweet, dude. So you don't come home stinking like someone else's shit anymore."

2 comments:

Videos by Professor Howdy said...

.
Seen in a cafeteria :

Shoes are required to eat
in the cafeteria. Socks can
eat any place they want.



A shrimp sole my girl; I lobster
and haven't flounder!



A note left for a pianist from
his wife: Gone Chopin, have
Liszt, Bach in a Minuet.

head dump said...

I hope you're not one of those bitch nurses that tell patient's to shut up when they're in pain. My morphine wore off middle of the night after my appendectomy and I woke up coughing from dry throat. I swear my sutures were going to tear. I reached for the help button. and bitch came in "NOW WHAT?"