Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Day

When I was younger, my I was getting in trouble from my dad and I said, "it's not fair!" My dad's response to me was, "The world isn't fair." He went on to say some stuff about being a good person and if you are responsible for your own actions then even if the world isn't fair you can at least say you did your part. Or something like that. Anyway, his first words 'the world isn't fair' are the ones that stuck with me all these years. I knew that even if I did my best and worked hard there was still the chance that things wouldn't go my way. No point in screaming and yelling about it, the world just wasn't fair. So, if I wanted something done I knew that I had to do it myself. I had to earn it myself. I'm not entirely sure this was the best lesson in life but it did teach me one thing: I learned to be independent. I learned to trust in myself. If you combine that with my faith in my religion, I know now that even though the world isn't fair, I'm at peace with myself living in that world. Happy Father's Day, Dad.

No comments: