Sunday, June 26, 2005

Flirting

Some people flirt naturally. They don't try - their personalities are just flirtatious. Then there's the people that have to try. Their flirting seems forced, their conversation seems fake, and their body language doesn't match their words. I figure that when it comes to flirting, the words don't really matter. You can have witty remarks, funny comments, and intelligent answers but if you sit there with your arms crossed staring at the ceiling, you're still a jerk. If your answers are simplistic and you barely know what the conversation is about but your body language is good, well then you're a sexy beast. Of course there's always the difference between just looking for someone to fool around with that night and looking to start something more serious. I'm not very good at either, but I have been lucky the past year with the latter. ;)

Top Ten Flirting Techniques:

  1. Eye contact. Don't stare into her eyes - that's just creepy. Just make contact once in a while to show you're focussed on her.
  2. Smile. No fake smiles. Smile like she is funny or smile like you're happy to be there.
  3. If you talk about religion or politics keep it light and don't get angry. I don't care how passionate you are about something but if you start yelling at the person you're trying to flirt with you won't get far.
  4. Touch. No, don't grope, don't try to cop a feel, and don't grab. I said touch - and nowhere inappropriate. As you're talking lean forward (see #5) and touch her arm lightly. If you're both sitting down, lean in and touch her knee. Not the thigh, the knee.
  5. Leaning. Lean towards her when you talk like you're going to whisper something in her ear. Like you're telling her a secret. Creates intimacy.
  6. Don't yell. If you're at a loud party and its hard to hear each other, it gives a good excuse for #5. Just lean in and speak normally closer to her ear.
  7. Don't overdo it. Don't lean in with your hand on her arm whispering in her ear all the time. Use it with style.
  8. Don't make shit up to make yourself sound better. Just tell the truth - you live with your mom and you have no idea how to run the washing machine.
  9. Talk about something she is interested in. I don't care how much you like to watch wrestling, neither does she.
  10. Basic Hygiene: brush your teeth, wear clean clothes, wash your hands. Try some mouthwash too.
I know advice from me is just a bad idea, but this is just what I heard from the pros. If it doesn't work for you, don't blame me.

5 comments:

R said...

I don't consider myself a flirt but I think I do those things naturally. To me it's more about holding ones attention long enough to guage interest. Is that flirting? Rhoel.

Oliver said...

yes, Rhoel. that's flirting.

Fumbling said...

one more -- ask interesting/witty questions to show you are interesting in her (not just in listening to yourself ramble).

Btw, nice to indirectly meet you through Joe and Jane via June and your brother via Jane's picture on my blog. SMALL world!

Fumbling said...

i mean interestED in her.

Anonymous said...

i don't flirt...i'm just overly friendly.