Friday, April 11, 2008

Bow Your Head

Last Tuesday, April 8, 2008 my tita Nene passed away. She's not my real aunt by blood or anything but she might as well have been. She struggled with cancer for a long time and now she is finally free. Some people ask me if I was close to her and although I didn't see her a lot, I still think I saw her a lot. She was a one of those cool aunts that you liked to run into at the mall or enjoyed talking to at family parties. She was important enough to me that she would have been one of the principal sponsors for my wedding. I grew up with her around (I have a picture of her at my 3rd or 4th bday party - I'm sure she was at the earlier ones too) and last fall she was still able to come over to my house and help Celia with the twins when I had to go back to work, and I'm so glad that she was able to make to my twins' first birthday. It was hard to see her at the end because she was always so strong and independent and at the hospital she was so weak and thin. I'm sure she was suffering towards the end so I'm happy that she doesn't have to suffer any more. People always ask what her daughter is going to do now. I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure that tita Nene taught her to be strong and smart so I'm sure she'll be okay.

In honour of my tita Rose/Nene, let us all bow our heads and say a prayer. She'll be missed by many. I'll make sure my kids know who she was.

No comments: