Sunday, March 8, 2009

Smarten Up

You know that saying, "live every day like its the last day of your life"? or "live for today and worry about tomorrow when it comes"? They sound really great and they get people to open up and enjoy their lives but I have to disagree with them at some point. It gives people permission to be irresponsible and go overboard. I mean, why not get stupid drunk tonight? Live it up, right? Well at some point you have to take responsibility for your life and for your future. I mean, what's the point of going to school or exercising or even getting married? None of those thing are a tonne of fun today, but they are rewarding tomorrow and the day after that and 20 years from now. I think the meaning of the saying is to simply be mindful of the present and enjoy the experience as it's happening so that you never look back and regret that you missed out on something. Anyway, I think I'm just saying don't be stupid and try to justify it by saying the world might end tomorrow.

No comments: