Thursday, April 2, 2009

Reliving my Youth

If you've never heard of it, there's this game called Quake. It came out in the mid-90's and was very popular. Then Quake 2 came out and was even more popular. I used to play it a lot and was pretty damn good at it. In fact, on the servers I played on frequently, I was very well known and, dare I say it, feared. I was in a couple of clans and... Well you get the idea - I was a Q2 freak. If you ever want to play, I bet I could still kick your ass.

Anyhoo, a little while later, Quake 3 came out and then a few years after that Quake 4. With those last two iterations, I never was able to pick up the old rail gun and frag the world like I could in Q2. Maybe the gameplay was different, maybe the weapons changed, maybe the gamespeed changed, or maybe I just plain sucked. Whatever it was, I don't really care but recently I've started something that makes me wish I was better at Q3: Quake Live. Its basically Quake 3 but played right out of your browser. No game to buy, nothing more than a plug-in to download and install, and most importantly, no lag to be found. I play it on a 7 year old computer and it runs at 120+ fps. I open my browser and I'm playing the game less than 1 minute later. Seriously, it actually runs just as well if not better than my real copy of Q3. If any of this didn't come across as supergeeky or if it did but you are in the least bit interested in Quake, you have to try QuakeLive. It is totally worth the hours of unproductive effort. Now if only I could install the plug-in on my computer at work...

No comments: