Monday, August 23, 2004

I'm Looking for a New Car baby, a New Car. Yeah yeah yeah

So on Friday I went to the Honda and Toyota dealerships. I don't really expect to buy a brand new car - that's just too expensive. I think my options are either a used car (roughly 2000/2001) or leasing. The lease is starting to sound better and better to me. Lower monthly payments, new car every 4-5 years, brand new car. You're probably thinking: "But you don't get anything at the end." So what? I have nothing now. And, I've worked it out: buying the car after a 4 year lease is actually cheaper than financing a car for 5 years. See? The lease is sounding better and better. But, in reality, I can still only afford to lease a cheap little car. I'll probably just end up buying a used car.

Speaking of cheap little cars, Rodney asked me if I was still interested in an Echo Hatchback. Hell ya! I don't care if people think its too small or ugly. I don't think its ugly and the size isn't an issue for me. All I need is a roof rack for my snowboard and I'm set. What do you guys think? The Echo is an economical car and all I really need it for is transportation, I'm not trying to impress anyone with my car. I don't drive fast, I don't go on long road trips, I don't carry much cargo, and I rarely have more than one passenger. Based on this criteria, the Echo is a perfect car for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love something like a Acura EL or a Mazda 3 Sport, but those are up to $12,000 more expensive.

5 comments:

head dump said...

tell you what. I'm renting a car when I head up to Vancouver, I'll look for an echo, but most likely they'll hand me a Ford focus. If you want, you can drive it around lots, just to get a feel for what you really want. I'm a practical person, so I really don't see the point of purchasing a car that's our of my budget, then trying to maintain an out of budget car with out of budget expenses. I'd rather spend the money on ME than on my car.

double R said...

go for the echo, a colleague of mine has it and it's amazing on gas. and it's a toyota.

whatever car you get, just as long as you can pick me up for snowboarding.

mrs cruz said...

I don't think it's ever worth buying a brand new car. I would lease or buy a semi-new used car. I think you're on the right track... go economical!!

Dennis said...

i say go for a leaser... a new car every 4 years would be nice.

celia said...

The Echo is a GIRLIE CAR!