Monday, April 24, 2006

The Advantages of Being a Male Nurse

On Friday night when I was working, I had a patient call in the middle of the night. When I got in the room she says she wants me to get "the girl nurse". Okay, fine by me. I went and got my friend Elaine to go in and see what she wanted. As it turns out, she was incontinent and needed her diaper changed. I wasn't there to see it, but apparently it was pretty gross. Generally speaking, you can't pick and choose your nurse. Whoever is there is who you get. Sorry, that's just the way it is. If you want to choose your own nurse, go hire a private nurse and go home. With this said, however, I hardly ever argue with my patients about this. Usually it means they needs something really personal done - like clean up a whole pile of shit - and I'm not one to fight for this job. I should apologize to my coworkers that I pull this on them but, hey, its not my fault some people think only women should be nurses.

No comments: