Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The Cons are growing

I'm not really a confrontational kind of guy. I like to avoid confrontation like the plague. In fact, when I see it coming I don't just walk away, I run for my life and then change identities and pretend I never saw it coming in the first place. Then if it still catches up to me, I can say, "Oh, I didn't even realize this was an issue." Of course this is lying, but I'm not out to win awards or anything. Today at work, however, was a different story. I was talking to someone from a different module and she suggested something that would be in direct contention with everything we've taught our users for the past 4 months. If anything, I like to think that I'm a diplomatic guy. Don't ruffle feathers, don't burn bridges. We discussed the issue and while trying to gently say, "your idea is stupid" as nice as possible, I suddenly decided that this isn't something I wanted to get into right now and there's no way I'm going to argue about it for a second longer. "Well, this sounds like a higher-level discussion that may need to be revisited after the holidays. I'll bring this back to my group and then we'll sit down when everyone is back after the new year." Just like that, it ended the discussion and we both quite happily went back to cracking jokes about project managers and directors. She's a very nice lady and I prefer working with her than any of her cohorts, but their whole group is starting to piss me off. Oh well, I can still go back to my old job if this gets too sickening.

No comments: