Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Still Here

We're still at the hospital.  Wednesday will be day 5 post-op.  That's a long time for c-section to be in the hospital.  My old knee replacement patients who are in their 60's or 70's usually only stayed for 4 or 5 days.  I think the worst part for me is the crappy cot that I'm sleeping on.  My mom has been nice enough to go over to our house and do a little cleaning.  She did laundry and changed the sheets on our bed and washed the dishes.  I stopped off at home today to pick up some stuff and when I saw my bed I wanted to lay down in it so bad and take a nap in its glorious comfort.  No, couldn't do that, I had to get back to Celia.  Instead, I took a nap on my cot.  It was great.  I was wearing jeans and I was cold and the mattress on the cot wasn't centered so one edge had a metal bar digging into me.  I loved it.  I haven't watched tv either in 5 days.  I know there are some people that actually prefer this, but I like a little tv.  I'm dying here!  

Seriously though, the twins are doing great.  They are producing tonnes of milk when we pump and we have to start freezing it for the kids, who doing well to by the way.  

Amelia is getting a reputation as the feisty one with the nurses.  She's still on cpap but I'm told she's doing really good otherwise.  Right now she's a little jaundiced so she's under the tanning lights.  I don't think she likes the mask over her eyes cuz when I go talk to her she holds my hand (my finger) and doesn't let go.  It almost makes me cry. 

Lucas is doing well too.   He's on cpap too but I think he's the independent one.  He kicks stuff away and does all his stuff on his own schedule.  Like breathing and digesting food.  He'll have periods of apnea but the RT says that's normal for his age and that its just a phase and he'll get over it.  He's tolerating the breast milk once in a while but not all the time.  I tell him he needs to eat and grow and he just waves his cpap at me.  Yesterday I got to hold him for the first time.  He still had everything hooked up but they weighed him so he was out of the isolette anyway.  I got to hold him for about 15 minutes and for about 12 of those minutes I was actually crying.  I was holding my son!   Tomorrow, I'm going to hold my daughter and try not to cry. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well thanks, now you made ME cry....you are and will continue to be a great daddy.

Anonymous said...

you had me crying reading your blog...congrats again guys!

Mel said...

Ok, this post totally made me cry! 'Don't think you ain't gonna cry with your baby girl!!!...if anything, you'll cry more! Can't wait to meet them! Glad to read you're all doing well.