Sunday, December 7, 2003

I would have to say that today was one of the worst days ever at work. You know on TV when they yell "Code Blue!" and everyone goes running? Well a code blue is when someone's heart stops. The lack of circulation leading to poor oxygen transport around the body makes the skin look blue, hence the term "code blue". Anyway I had my first code blue today in 3 years and 4 months. Basically, my first code ever. We have a code team at our hospital made up of some ICU nurses, an RT, and a couple of docs. They all came running after the announcement over the PA system. It was just like on TV with everyone calling out orders, pushing equipment around and more equipment being set up. When I got into the room, the patient's nurses were doing CPR and I started setting up some stuff. The code team arrived and I became the official person to document everything that was happening (there's always someone to do this). There was no heartbeat, no breathing, no vital signs. The patient was intubated, got a bunch of drugs but to no avail. Eventually, the doc said, "Stop! I'm calling it. Time of death 1630hrs." Then everything stopped. I've never been in a code before and I hope I'm never in one again.

No comments: