Thursday, March 18, 2004

Third Time

Last night was the third time I had to be the one to pronounce someone's death. The man dying wasn't a surprise at all, we were just waiting for him to go, but I hate being the one to do the pronouncing. I think every nurse has this fear of sending someone down to the morgue when they're not really dead. As we were preparing the body to go down to the morgue, I swear I saw his leg twitch from the corner of my eye. Then, while we were waiting for the porter, I thought I saw the bodybag move like he was breathing. Okay, when I first pronounced him dead I had another nurse just confirm it. After these creepy things I had another nurse check again for me. I was kinda freaked out about the whole thing. I couldn't wait until the body was gone. Another creepy thing is that the family (who was there when he died) told me that the man's son died exactly 11 months ago at exactly the same time. Weird.

No comments: