Monday, April 26, 2004

So, today was my first day out on the picket line. For anyone that doesn't know why I'm there, here it is: The Hospital Employees Union (HEU) is fighting for their jobs which they lost during the governments idea to privatize some services in the hospital. Housekeeping, kitchen, laundry, and some other groups are being replaced by private companies. The BC Nurse's Union (BCNU - my union), and HSA (Health Sciences Assoc. - Jeff's union) are both supporting this uphill battle against the government. For RN's, this means working at "essential services" levels. My new job isn't considered essential so I'm out on the line with HEU and all the other non-essential personnel.

Today was actually quite nice out there. It was a beautiful day so we just walked around, sat on the grass, socialized, and went to Dairy Queen for treats. At least I got to hang out with Mar and her OR friends. I'll be out there again tomorrow so if you're bored, come by and keep me company. Tomorrow its supposed to rain so it looks like I'll be screwed.

No comments: